From 1978 until early January, 2018, our law firm was located in a 2-story yellow brick home at 1205 Shermer Road, directly across the street from our current location. The home was built in 1905, and at that time was a part of the Village of Shermerville. The name of the village was officially changed to the Village of Northbrook in 1923.
Along with the owners of some 9 other contiguous parcels on the south side of Shermer Road, we recently sold the property to make way for a development favored by the Village of Northbrook. When completed, the development will consist of 68 townhomes, each having 3 to 4 bedrooms.
According to the Village, this new development not only will increase the real estate taxes payable to the Village, it will also greatly increase the density, which will hopefully, in turn, benefit the local downtown businesses in Northbrook.
We loved practicing from this “old Lady” for over 39 years, and our clients greatly enjoyed its more informal and “homey” atmosphere, which we have tried to replicate, as much as possible, in our new quarters.
As one of the local newspapers recently stated, “Memories are all that remain of the historic homes along Shermer Road.”
© 2020 Joseph C. Johnson, P.C.